East-Reach Zambia started in earnest in the fall of 1999 when Wellington and Ireen Mwanza returned to Zambia from the United States where they had been studying Bible at Abilene Christian University.
They felt that God had done so much for them with the opportunity to study in the United States. Thus, they made a commitment to go back and preach to their people in the Eastern Province of Zambia.
Earlier, in 1992, the late Dr. Kelly Hamby, Mrs. Eleanor Hamby, Moon Blanton, and Wellington had gone on a visit to Malawi. On their way to Malawi, they stopped at the town of Chipata, which is the provincial Capital of the Eastern Province of Zambia. While eating lunch, Wellington made a statement to the effect that he would like to come to the Eastern Province of Zambia and preach to his people. In eight years God answered this request and he got exactly what he had been praying for, the opportunity to preach to to his own people.
Wellington, Ireen, and Goodwin, their son, moved to the Eastern Province in 2006 to devote their full time attention to the work of planting and maturing Churches of Christ in the area.
Since then East-Reach has been working to increase the number of knowledgeable men in the region to spread the Gospel through the Chipata Bible College, plant churches, assist preachers, dig water wells, provide Bibles and song books, etc…
1. The primary and major goal for the work in the Eastern Province of Zambia and beyond is to plant and mature Churches through:
- Training of Church Leaders. This is of prime importance for the churches to grow strong and be organized.
- Holding seminars and Church meetings in an effort to promote growth and better Church organization.
- Sending of local preachers to as many villages as possible to plant Churches.
- Networking of all congregations both in the Eastern Province of Zambia and the adjoining area of Mozambique.
- Supplying Bibles, song books, and grape juice and flour for making the emblems of the Lord’s Supper.
2. To train as many preachers as possible to achieve our goal of evangelizing the whole of the eastern province of Zambia by 2015. We believe that the training of preachers will have a multiplier effect. While training them to preach they can also be sent out to preach as a part of their training.
3. To help meet the physical needs in communities where we plant Churches.